After we recap Jeanette's trip to Los Angeles and the Critical Mixed Race Studies conference, we dig in on the perception around our "blackness". Along with how we perceived race around us growing up in Northern Virginia, and what propelled our efforts to embrace our diversity after college, we also discuss how our "blackness" is noticeably perceived by others. Finally, we have many thoughts on the comments made by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos about Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Many thoughts.
- Critical Mixed Race Studies (0:00)
- Identifying with "Blackness" (15:00)
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (35:00)
- Critical Mixed Race Studies (CRMS)
- Trump visits the National Museum of African American History and Culture (The Washington Post)
- Dismal Voucher Results Surprise Researchers as DeVos Era Begins (New York Times)
- DeVos called HBCUs ‘pioneers’ of ‘school choice.’ It didn’t go over well. (The Washington Post)
If you have any feedback, questions, comments, insights, opinions, or other cleverly worded sentences you’d like us to read, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intro/Outro licensed by AudioNetwork. "Good Time" - Andy Cooper, Pablo Love, Campbell E Browning