After a short revisiting of family history around Christopher's diabetes diagnosis, our conversation focuses on two noteworthy movies in the African American communities. First we discuss 'Moonlight', and explore the complexity of the stereotypical "strong black man" archetype. And Jeanette shares her thoughts 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks' and the tendency for many stories to default to a "white savior".
- Chris' Diabetes Diagnosis (4:00)
- Moonlight (8:00)
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (23:00)
- ‘Moonlight’ offers commentary on masculinity, homosexuality (The Badger Herald)
- 39 Things We Learned from Barry Jenkins’ ‘Moonlight’ Commentary (Film School Rejects)
- What Professors Are Saying About The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks(rebeccaskloot.com)
- TV Movie Review: 'The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks' (NPR)
If you have any feedback, questions, comments, insights, opinions, or other cleverly worded sentences you’d like us to read, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intro/Outro licensed by AudioNetwork. "Good Time" - Andy Cooper, Pablo Love, Campbell E Browning